Wednesday 17 April 2013

Throwback Thursday...

So, I get all nostalgic when I think of certain books. They can bring out the sentimental girl inside of me. They can remind me of a time, or a place, or even a feeling I was having at the time I was reading it... and I love it whenever I feel that connection.

For example; Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince reminds me of sitting by a pool in Spain. My husband had gone to find out the football score and I was lay sobbing on a sun lounger in full view of the oodles of hotel guests, but I didn't care one little bit.

The Da Vinci Code reminds me of being ill. I read it in bed when I was suffering with morning sickness. Not a nice association really!

And these books remind me of being a little girl...

               
            
                      

They remind me of reading underneath the covers after bedtime and caravan holidays with my parents. They remind me about the times that I would pretend to open a Cadbury's chocolate bar slowly just in case I ripped my golden ticket. They remind me of being terrified of wigs and wishing I had magical powers. I loved these books!

It's a silly number of years since I read anything by Roald Dahl - but I can't wait to crack open these books once again when my little girl is old enough to read them all. I still have the old edition copies like these ones - although, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has a few loose pages - and the content is still relevant and translates wonderfully today. Roald Dahl was a very clever man.

See... I always knew that keeping my old books would pay off one day.

Do you  have any books that evoke fond (or even, not so fond) memories? What are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment